mardi 17 mai 2016

Week 10 - A discussion on course concepts and implementation #5

In-Class Discussion

As I approach the end of this learning challenge, I will reflect again on some concepts we have discussed in-class that relate to my learning challenge. Mobile Assisted Language Learning (MALL) (week 9) is something I explored during my challenge by using an app which allows you to select the correct conjugation. According to Ally (2007) "mobile technologies...enable interactive learning to take place anywhere, anytime, and at the pace of the learner". It allows learning to take place more opportunistically, and increases portability - two aspects that I have found extremely beneficial in my situation. I definitely lack effective planning skills, so a technology that allows me to learn on the go, whenever I want, is exceptionally useful. This is further exemplified by 'contingent learning' - being "instant follow up with further investigation based on their hunches or curiousity [when one] hears a word or see[s] something that promotes learning in real time (Levy, 2013). I have often found myself doing this during the challenge, as well as in general with my language learning. However, MALL does not come freely without any challenges. Luckily, in my case, the only real challenge faced was the cost of the mobile app.

Push vs pull learning (Kuhlmann, 2012)

Another principle I have found relatable to my challenge is "pull vs. push learning", as demonstrated in the image on the left. "Pull" refers to seeking out information for yourself, which I have done by taking initiative to look up conjugation rules and using an app to practice conjugations. With the "push" aspect, "information is made available to learners without effort on their part" (Motiwalla, 2007), for example resources on different tenses made available by my FREN2010 teacher.

In week 10, translation was a key concept discussed during the workshop and in online readings. Google translate, a statistic machine translation that seeks patterns in large amounts of text to create the most appropriate translation, is one of the main tools I have used during my challenge. However, I haven't found it to be that grammatically correct in terms of grammar and verbs, likely due to the issue with translating some tenses directly as opposed to just understanding the 'gist' of the tense. Another issue is that there is no option to select different levels of politeness such as 'tu' vs 'vous' - a critical grammatical aspect of French language.
_______________________________________________________

The Learning Challenge

With respect to my actual learning challenge, I have encountered an issue preventing me from doing my final implementation regarding final assessment quizzes. The website on which I was doing my quizzes is not working anymore. When clicking next to start the quiz, the usual list of verbs and text boxes for the answers does not show up anymore. I have tried to access the quiz from multiple different laptops, phones, and web browsers, but nothing has been able to fix it. It looks as below.

Therefore, I have not been able to complete my final assessment. Despite this, I have realised that it is in fact not a critical issue, due to an adjustment I made to the structure of my assessment after implementation #1. Doing a quiz at the start and end of each week to record my progress has provided sufficient information for me to judge the effectiveness of the challenge. Therefore, I will not be doing a fifth week of implementation. Since I completed two tenses per week twice, I still applied the challenge six times, actually proving 6 implementations.
________________________________________________________

In my next and final blog post, I will be discussing the results from my LLC, and judging the effectiveness of the challenge as well as the technologies used as per the goals from my learning challenge proposal.

References:

- Levy, M. (2013). Week 9: Mobile Language Learning and Apps [Lecture recording]. Retrieved from SLAT2002, University of Queensland Blackboard Online: https://learn.uq.edu.au/
- Motiwalla, L. F. (2007). Mobile learning: A framework and evaluation. Computers & Education, 49(3), 581-596. doi:10.1016/j.compedu.2005.10.011
- Kuhlmann, T. (2012). Do You Know the Answers to these Rapid E-Learning Questions? [Web log message]. Retrieved from http://blogs.articulate.com/rapid-elearning/do-you-know-the-answers-to-these-rapid-e-learning-questions/

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire